Tuesday, August 27, 2013

POOR FACILITY MANAGEMENT IN OUR SHOPPING MALLS!


This is a personal experience I had at large famous Shopping Mall in Oniru in Victoria Island last Friday.

I went to watch a “late” film with some friends, late because the traffic in VI and Ikoyi that day was horrendous and everywhere was gridlocked and we spent hours trying to get to the Mall. After we bought our tickets and proceeded to our film hall, we noticed how hot and stuffy the hall was, but thought that once the film started they would put on the air conditioner. The film started and fifteen minutes later, we noticed that we had started sweating. Someone went out to look for a staff member to complain to and was assured the air conditioner would be turned on. Half an hour later, I could smell the sweat on other people in the hall and started to feel dizzy, so my friends and I walked out of the hall to ask for the manager. There was some reluctance on the part of the security guard to call the manager, but he turned up after a long wait. We asked why the air conditioners had not been turned on in a packed cinema hall with at least 100 people in it, and no ventilation. He admitted that the air conditioners were not working! We were shocked and asked why the Cinema had then sold tickets to watch films? He could not provide an answer, so we demanded a refund of our tickets. He reluctantly gave the money back to us.

I decided to use the toilets before I left the Mall, only to find the entrance to the toilets locked. The Security guard ran up behind me to tell me that the door was locked because the toilets were not working! When I expressed surprise at this, he said the toilets had not been working for ONE WEEK! I am sure you are reading this and cant believe it either. Toilets in a major shopping Mall, not usable for one week! The alarming part of this saga is that this Mall is managed by one of the leading Facilities Management Company’s in Nigeria and Africa, who have offices in the  same Mall. Unfortunately the offices were closed at that time, or else I would have marched in and demanded answers. I hope they read this piece. I will however lodge a complaint and update you with the outcome.

Often you go into Shopping Mall’s, whether large or small, and you can see immediately that the floors are stained with food or drink, the mall smells, light bulbs have blown and not replaced, the place is hot, toilets are dirty or locked and people loitering around doing nothing in particular. This is a common sight despite the malls employing reputable Facility Management companies to manage the services. You even see security guards and cleaners openly sitting on the chairs or sleeping in corners.

Before I left the mall, a number of security and other staff had crowded around us, watching curiously and cluelessly to see what was going to happen. I had to point out to them that they only had jobs because of the money we customers and visitors spend when visiting the Mall or Cinema, and they should be aware that if this stops due to their poor service delivery, they would join millions of other jobless people on the streets of Lagos. Although I am sure this point went right over their heads. I am sure they do not even know what their job specification is!

This is a sad reflection in our airports, hospitals, schools, hotels, offices and mall’s everywhere. Facility Management needs to be overhauled

 

No comments:

Post a Comment